Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cheap Wine - Yellow Tail Cabernet Sauvignon

Usually I don’t drink red wine in the summer, I prefer beer and vodka tonics, but the past few days have felt more like October than July. So, I picked up a bottle of my favorite cheap wine, Yellow Tail Cabernet Sauvignon.

1) Price?
$6.49 at a grocery store or $8.99 at a convenient store. Or you can do what I did and pick up a magnum for $10.49. In my opinion, it’s the best way to get a buzz when you’re short on cash.

2) Food?
Pizza is your best bet. Any kind of pizza, just as long as it’s marinara based. None of that hippie shit, like pesto or hummus.

In my college days, when I wanted to impress a girl, but was low on funds, which was always, I’d buy a frozen pizza and a bottle of Yellow Tail Cab. I’d invite her over to my studio apartment, we’d eat and drink, then I’d throw on an independent film. I won’t go into details, but it almost always worked.

3) Music?
Now that I no longer try to seduce college girls, and my girlfriend doesn’t drink, I find myself drinking this wine alone a lot. Mainly while writing. So, I would have to say I listen to a lot of the music I listen to while writing, which is Medeski Martin and Wood, Portishead, and DJ Shadow. I’d also have to suggest “Red Red Wine,” but not that poor man’s reggae version by UB40, Neil Diamond’s original.

4) Clothes?
Whatever you were wearing when you bought the bottle. I prefer to enjoy this wine when it’s a little cold outside, so whatever you feel comfortable in. Unless you are trying to seduce a college girl, then I’d say a nice, collared shirt and a few sprays of Drakkar Noir. For some reason college girls love that smell.

5) Read?
Li Po. I have found myself sipping Yellow Tail Cab at 2 am, reading Li Po on many occasions. I find his poems much more relatable when I’m holding on to a nice, red wine high.

6) People?
As stated earlier, I drink this wine alone a lot, but it’s also a good wine to bring to parties. Like, if you’re invited to a dinner party and are told not to bring anything but still feel the need to bring something, I say go with a bottle of Yellow Tail Cab. It won’t break the bank, and everyone will be happy there’s any extra bottle of wine.

7) When?
Like I said before I enjoy this wine most when there’s a nip in the air, but I didn’t specify a time of day. It’s best late at night, like after 10pm. When it’s cold and dark outside, but you’re in your warm apartment or house. After all the day’s task are completed and it’s your time to relax.

Last Glass
I don’t want people to think I’m encouraging drinking alone. That’s what alcoholics do. If you’re a writer and you drink wine while you write you’re never alone, because you’re always surrounded by the characters you create.

No comments: